The Harris County Democratic Party Chair Lane Lewis sent out a timeline of what to expect for the SD6 Special Election, now that Perry actually set a date.
Candidates for this special election must file the Application for a Place on the Ballot (Special Election to Fill a Vacancy) with the Secretary of State by 5:00 pm on December 26, 2012. Early voting runs form Wednesday, January 9, 2013 to Tuesday, January 22, 2013.
- December 14, 2012 – First day to apply for Ballot by Mail
- December 26, 2012, 5:00pm – Last day to file for a place on the Ballot
- December 27, 2012 – Last day to register to vote
- December 31, 2012 – 30-day campaign finance report due (tentative)
- January 9, 2013 – First day of Early Voting
- January 15, 2013 – Semiannual finance report due
- January 18, 2013 – Last day to apply for Ballot by Mail (Received, not Postmarked)
- January 18, 2013 – 8-day campaign finance report due (tentative)
- January 22, 2013 – Last day of Early Voting
- January 26, 2013 – Election Day
One interesting tidbit.
HCDP will not be taking a position on any Democratic Candidate nor will it be providing any favorable resources to one candidate over another. All paid staff of Harris County Democratic Party is prohibited from making any public endorsements, financial contributions, or expressing public favoritism for any particular Democratic candidate.
That’s a good reminder.
Obviously, if you’re thinking about running make sure you look at the residency requirements and other qualifications. And if you do decide to run, make sure you file your Texas Ethics Commission campaign treasurer’s appointment and complete your reports. These are the kinds of things bloggers like to look at.