From our friends at the Fe y Justicia Worker Center:
TOMORROW – Tuesday, July 23rd – 10:00am (Arrive 9:30am to secure a seat)
City Council Chambers (901 Bagby, 2nd Fl, Houston, TX 77002)
Your participation and support of the Down with Wage Theft Campaign have got us to this point! Let’s make sure Houston is the first city in Texas to pass a strong Anti-Wage Theft Ordinance to uphold the value of work and level the playing field for responsible businesses.
We have a very narrow window of time to get this ordinance passed and your voice is crucial. If the Committee Hearing is successful, Mayor Parker will put the ordinance on the wider City Council Agenda for a full vote. Let’s win this!!
Two ways you can help:
1. Plan to attend the Committee Hearing to show your support
2. Call the following committee members who are “on the fence” to urge them to represent their constituents’ interests in passing this Anti-Wage Theft Ordinance:
- Helena Brown (District A) – 832-393-3010
- Jerry Davis (District B) – 832-393-3009
- Al Hoang (District F) – 832-393-3002
- Oliver Pennington (District G) – 832-393-3007
- Mike Laster (District J) – 832-393-3015
- Stephen Costello (At Large Position 1) – 832-393-3014
3. Email the members of the Public Safety Committee today urging them to support the ordinance (Sample below)
To: Chair – Mayor Pro-Tem Ed Gonzalez, Vice Chair – CM Ellen Cohen, CM Helena Brown, CM Jerry Davis, CM Al Hoang, CM Oliver Pennington, CM Mike Laster, CM Steven Costello
email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: Support the Anti- Wage Theft Ordinance!
Dear City of Houston Council Public Safety Committee Members,
I respectfully urge you to support the proposed Anti-Wage Theft Ordinance to restore a level playing field for responsible businesses and uphold the value of a fair day’s pay for a fair day’s work.
We must hold unscrupulous businesses that steal wages from their workers accountable and ensure they do not receive city contracts, permits or licenses. This is a baseline protection our community and our local economy need to ensure all working families can prosper in Houston!
Thank you for standing up for Houston’s workers!
[Your name & Address]
Pingback: Council to consider wage theft ordinance – Off the Kuff