Thanks to the Houston Fire Department for posting their Holiday Safety Tips (and thanks to Mayor Parker for the heads up). Since it’s chilly these next couple of nights, here are some important ones.
- Use a screen at the base of the fireplace. Use a flash arrester at the top of the chimney to keep the sparks off the roof.
- Never use any paper or flammable liquids in the fireplace.
- To set the fire: Make sure the damper is open before building the fire. Use aged wood and an approved product designed for igniting a fire in a fireplace. OR use a gas fired log lighter that has been installed by a licensed plumber and purchased through a reliable company. Read labels to make sure you are using the correct item for that designed purpose.
Portable Space Heaters
- Do not use extension cords on electrical heaters.
- Make sure wires are in good condition.
- When purchasing a heater, check to see if it has a safety switch (when it falls over, it will cut off).
- Make sure they have copper flexible threaded connectors rather than rubber hose (American Gas Association Seal).
- Use soapy water to check for leaks. Never use a match.
- You will want a blue flame to make sure it is not putting off too much carbon monoxide. A blue flame produces less hazardous carbon monoxide.
- Make sure you have enough ventilation for the recommended size room and heater.
- Keep heater away from anything combustible (at least 3 feet) and secure,so as not to tip over.